Ali-Worn Gloves Among Items at SCP Auction
Fight Network Staff / November 27, 2012 - 3:37pm
Laguna Niguel, Calif. (November 27, 2012) – The bidding for the Angelo Dundee Estate Collection of boxing memorabilia, the Ozzie Smith Collection of baseball memorabilia, Babe Ruth's c. 1922 team sweater and Mickey Mantle's 1964-1967 model game-worn jacket is expected to heat up this week, as collectors scramble to secure these coveted pieces of sports history before SCP Auctions' fall auction comes to a close this weekend. The Dundee collection ends on Friday, Nov. 30 while the remainder of the auction ends on Saturday, Dec. 1 at SCPAuctions.com.
Two pairs of gloves from Muhammad Ali's two most legendary fights top the bidding in SCP Auctions' fall auction. His fight-worn gloves, including Ali's (then Cassius Clay) gloves from his February 25, 1964 bout against Sonny Liston, sit at $241,577 and are expected to rise dramatically. Ali's gloves from his March 8, 1971 bout against Joe Frazier (Ali-Frazier I) have a current bid of $219,615. Jim Dundee, the late Angelo's son, plans to donate a portion of the proceeds from the sale to the Muhammad Ali Foundation and the auction will also help the Dundee family fulfill Angelo's wish that necessary medical care be provided and funded for Jim's sister, who suffers from Multiple Sclerosis.
Other top bids come from the Smith Collection of baseball memorabilia, including his 13 Gold Glove Awards from 1980-1992, a legendary T210 Old Mill Joe Jackson card, Ruth sweater, the Mantle jacket and the personal basketball memorabilia of Basketball Hall of Famers Sam Jones and Oscar Robertson. The top 10 bids (as of 9:00 a.m. EST on Nov. 27) in the auction include:
· Cassius Clay's fight-worn gloves from Feb. 25, 1964 bout vs. Sonny Liston – current high bid $241,577
· Ali's fight-worn gloves from March 8, 1971 bout vs. Joe Frazier – current high bid $219,615
· Smith's career set of 13 Golden Glove Award trophies (1980-92) – current high bid $113,932
· 1910 T210 Old Mill Series 8 Joe Jackson GD PSA 2 – current high bid $66,550
· 1964-67 Mantle New York Yankees professional model game-worn jacket – current high bid $60,500
· Ruth's c. 1922 New York Yankees team sweater – current high bid $55,000
· Jones' Boston Celtics 1958-59 NBA Championship ring – current high bid $34,529
· Sam Jones' 1983 National Basketball Hall of Fame induction ring – current high bid $31,390
· Oscar Robertson's 1960 Olympic Gold Medal winning Team USA game-worn jersey – current high bid $29,282
· Smith's 2011 St. Louis Cardinals World Series ring – current high bid $29,233
Collectors can bid by logging on to www.scpauctions.com or calling (800) 350-2273. The initial-bidding period ends at 7 p.m. PST, with the auctions ending after 15 minutes has elapsed without a bid on the entire auction.
Each of the more than 1,900 items is featured in the SCP Auctions' website at www.SCPAuctions.com.
About SCP Auctions
SCP Auctions, Inc. has been a leader in brokering and auctions of important sports memorabilia and cards since 1979. The Southern California based firm conducts online auctions throughout the year, highlighted by their Premier Auctions in the spring and fall. SCP Auctions has handled some of the most significant individual items and prominent collections in their field, such as the record-setting sale of the famed T206 Honus Wagner baseball card ($2.8 million) and Babe Ruth's bat used to hit the first home run in Yankee Stadium ($1.265 million). Other items of significance handled by SCP are the original 1919 Contract of Sale of Babe Ruth from the Red Sox to the Yankees ($996,000), and the estate collections of Hall of Famers such as Honus Wagner, Tony Lazzeri, Bob Cousy, Wilt Chamberlain, Casey Stengel, Pee Wee Reese, and Ernie Banks. Interested bidders can call (800) 350-2273 or visit SCP Auctions online at www.SCPAuctions.com for more information on how to participate.