Search

Boxing / Editorial

Joachim Alcine's Opponent Announced for Feb. 8

Corey Erdman / January 23, 2013 - 11:24am

To say Joachim Alcine's 2012 was a roller coaster ride would be an understatement.

The former junior welterweight titlist rode into the year on a dodgy eight round decision over Jose Medina on Broadway Boxing, in which he looked sluggish and tentative at best, and completely shot at worst.

Perhaps because of that, he was served up to David Lemieux, who was coming off a loss of his own, presumably as a means of getting the young prospect back on his feet with a scintillating knockout. Instead, Alcine—who had been steamrolled by Alfredo Angulo in one round two years prior—turned in one of the most inexplicable performances in recent memory.

Somehow, the old veteran who once had electric stuff in the ring channeled that fighter of old. Not only did he look good offensively—which 'fading' fighters do at times (see: Jones-Lacy)—but he took the punch of one of the hardest hitters in the sport, right on his supposedly glass chin. At the end of the night, Alcine had his hand raised and sent Lemieux's stock plummeting.

"All of this is all confidence," Alcine said at the post-fight press conference. "I know Lemieux is a good fighter, he can hit. But the fact that I got hit with him, and I didn't really feel his punch, it just (brought) more confidence."

With the win, he was inked to a co-promotional deal with Lou DiBella and his longtime pal Yvon Michel, which afforded him the opportunity to fight on HBO once again.

There, against Matthew Macklin, the Alcine that was supposed to appear against Lemieux showed up, and he was blown out in one round for a second time.

So where is Ti-Joa's confidence level right now?

Well, it would appear his handlers aren't all the way confident with where he's at, as his opponent for the February 8 card at the Bell Centre in Montreal was formally announced on Tuesday, and he's not exactly menacing. The 36-year old will take on Dominican journeyman David Toribio (19-14, 12 KOs).

The fight is part of an ESPN Friday Night Fights telecast, headlined by Kevin Bizier-John O'Donnell and Tyler Asselstine-Joel Diaz Jr. All other fights will be available on Canadian pay-per-view.

The selling point, surely, will be that Toribio "went the distance" with middleweight kingpin Sergio Martinez in a four round affair in 2008, a throw-in bout on the Kelly Pavlik-Jermain Taylor undercard.

Alcine told La Presse that he can turn back the clock once more now that he's in the appropriate division again.

"I feel better at 154 pounds and people will see that I am better than my last fight," said Alcine, who fought Macklin at the middleweight limit.

We've seen this story unfold before with him—let's hope it doesn't have the same sudden ending this time.

(0) Comments
Add your comment
Post
Share with friends
Add your comment
Login or Join Now to participate in the conversation