Mayweather-Alexander Possible for May 4
Corey Erdman / February 6, 2013 - 1:25pm
Now, it appears that may have been suffered while flexing a little promotional muscle.
It was originally thought that Robert Guerrero was a virtual lock for that date, with reports going so far as to say the fight was "all but done." The only other conceivable opponent for Floyd on that date was Canelo Alvarez, but the presumption was that barring a Guerrero victory, Mayweather would simply go on to face him in September instead.
The Mayweather tweet illustrates something particularly fascinating, however. "Money May" is perhaps the only athlete with complete control over his own media.
There isn't a single boxing reporter who can call Floyd and demand answers. He is utterly inaccessible. Moreover, his right hand man Leonard Ellerbe, is a master of giving absolutely nothing away in interviews, meaning there's nobody around Mayweather whom one could "trick" into giving the goods.
In fact, the most accessible member of the Mayweather circle is probably Floyd Mayweather Sr., who until recently, wasn't on speaking terms with his son. The two have reunited, but he too is well versed in keeping things under wraps, and though many have tried, he's not giving up his son's number either.
As a result, when Mayweather tweets something like this, we have no choice but to run with it. It's not like there's anyone to call to confirm otherwise, unless Alexander and manager Kevin Cunningham spill the beans.
That also means this could be nonsense. Floyd may still be fighting Guerrero in May, and is just toying with the public the way he lures in his opponents in the ring. He could also still be undecided, and is sitting at home scrolling through his "@" column gauging public interest in either bout.
If there is a shred of evidence suggesting this is a hoax, it's that Brook was Alexander's mandatory challenger, and eschewing that contest would theoretically have him stripped of the title, making a "unification bout" Floyd is touting impossible.
Brook's promoter Eddie Hearn told the Telegraph today that he certainly hopes that's the case.
"If Alexander takes that fight we would certainly insist Alexander be stripped of his title. We'll fight for the vacant IBF title, next in line," said Hearn.
Realistically however, this is a sanctioning body we're dealing with; and while some have suggested the IBF is the best of the bunch when it comes to outlandish decisions, they are not above bending the rules or making new ones (or new titles) to get in on some Mayweather money.
And that money will continue to roll in because he has us hooked, and well over a million people will tune in for this fight on May 4.
Whichever one it turns out to be.